Thursday, February 18, 2010

Unusual vegetable


I just finished writing an article for the Master Gardener newsletter (the March issue will be posted around the first of the month) on unusual vegetables. I only picked out a few for the article but there were others. The cabbage walking stick was probably one of the oddest. A vegetable as tree! I'm not sure that it will grow in our area, it may be too hot, but it could be fun to try. It is a relative of kale and can get to 10 feet tall by the second year of growth. (Actually I found wildly varying estimates of its size, one source said it can grow as tall as 20 feet) It has been grown in the Channel Islands (England, not California) for over 200 years. The leaves are edible. To collect the walking stick, behead the plant when it reaches the height you want and let it try. The information I found said it needs to dry for a season, but I suspect that it will dry a lot faster here.

To find more information on growing for canes go to: http://tomclothier.hort.net.page32.html
Canes can be carved.

Seeds can be found at Annies Annuals & Perennials

No comments:

Post a Comment